- Food is nutrition for your body, after eating you should feel energized and content. Simple carbohydrates and food high in sodium cause discomfort and fatigue because your energy is being used to process the meal through your stomach and small intestines. Eating wholefoods from a smaller plate will provide results that will benefit your overall sense of well being.
- Breath and chill out, eating should be a relaxing. If your stressed out or anxious it inhibits the body's ability to disgust and assimilate the nutrients in the food. Don't stand and rush staring at your cellphone, tv or computer. Make the time to sit down and focus on enjoying the experience of eating consciously.
- Your eyes are always bigger than your stomach, if you use a smaller plate you will eat a smaller portion. Slow down, try to chew each mouthful for a minute, really feeling the texture on your tongue, in between your teeth and the flavor to your taste buds, getting the most out of your food as well as being further nourished by the richness of each moment. Over eating causes a great burden on the body, consciously eat and experience everything you can about it and stop when you feel content.
- Relish in fresh fruit. Try to substitute artificial drinks or coffee (after your one morning cup of black coffee) and nourish your body with the freshness of natural raw unprocessed juice. Freshly squeezed juice is wise to incorporate into your selection of daily consumption, and an ideal way to saturate your body with nutrients and enzymes.
- Intentionally set your mind to be excited about the desire to nourish your body with healthy food. It makes life more interesting exploring your options and experimenting with different flavors and textures. Your attitude and enthusiasm will make mindful consumption practice come naturally.
- Notice what motivates your hunger. Identity whether your actually in need of foraging sustenance or eating through emotions. There are plenty of other ways to rejuvenate yourself, drink a glass of water. If your eating out of boredom, stress, or depression, turn to meditation instead of mindless consumption.
- Recognize this new mindful consumption practice, and use this experience to educate yourself on healthy eating and spirited consumption.